Thursday, February 11, 2010

Prove It Chapter Eleven

*Please see Author’s Note at the bottom of chapter for an explanation involving chapter.

Chapter 11

Draco checked his reflection in the mirror, face screwed up in concentration as he attempted to get the blasted bowtie straight. Today was the day. Hermione and Draco were going to be married today. They were having a muggle wedding, something her parents had been adamant about. He didn’t care about what kind of wedding; he just wanted to be married. They could have gone to Fiji and jumped over a broomstick for all he cared. So, here he was in a stuffy room in the back of a church not far from Hermione’s parents’ house. A knock sounded at the door.

“Come in,” Draco called. Harry entered the room. In a shocking turn of events, Draco had named Harry his best man and Ron, and Neville would be his groomsman. The two had formed a sort of close bond in the few short months since Draco and Hermione started seeing each other. Draco knew that if it weren’t for Harry talking sense into people, including Hermione herself, Hermione would’ve probably left him. Draco fidgeted with his bowtie before throwing his hands up in surrender. “Hey, mate, think you could help me out with this thing?”

“Sure, no problem,” Harry said, stepping in front of him and straightening the tie. “It’s getting crowded out there. How you feeling? Are you ready for this?”

“I think I’m more ready for it than Hermione,” Draco said with a laugh. She was so apprehensive about the wedding, she let her mom, and Ginny and Mrs. Weasley take over all the planning. But she agreed to give Draco the wedding he wanted because she figured he had done so much for her. “Have you seen her yet?”

“Yeah. She looks so beautiful. Do you remember how she looked at the Yule Ball? Take that and multiply it by about a hundred.” Harry said. He clapped Draco on the back. “Come on, it’s about time.”


“Oh, Hermione, you look stunning.” Ginny said as she helped Hermione adjust her veil. Hermione looked at her reflection and almost didn’t recognize the woman staring back at her. Her dress was pure white and had a beaded strapless bodice. The skirt was cinched to the side and a few thin layers of silk rippled gently down to the ground. Ginny had put three hours of work into Hermione’s hair and makeup. She couldn’t have picked a better maid of honor.

“Hey, can I have a moment alone with the bride,” asked a voice from the door. After everyone left the room, Hermione turned to find her father standing the in the door looking at her in awe. “Wow. Honey you look amazing.”

Hermione resisted the urge to roll her eyes. That’s all everyone could say. Her dad pulled her into a hug, careful not to mess up her veil or dress.

“How did you grow up so fast?” Her dad asked, holding her at arms length. His eyes looked a little glassy, as if he were about to cry. He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a little box to hand to her. Hermione looked at it incredulously before opening to reveal a strand of pearls. He helped her put it around her neck. “This belonged to my mother. It’s been in the family for a couple generations.”

“Thanks dad.” Hermione said, her eyes filling with tears. He wrapped his arm around hers.

“Come on, kiddo. It’s time to give you away.” Mr. Granger said, handing her a bouquet of while roses. He led her to the closed doors that led to the crowded room. As Ginny, Luna, and Lavender followed the flower girl and ring bearer, Hermione drew an unsteady breath. ‘Draco is behind these doors waiting for you. Forget about everyone else, just focus on him.’ Hermione thought. The thought of Draco waiting by the preacher fill Hermione with an unexpected excitement. She could do this. The wedding march played and Hermione and her father stepped into view.

"I love you, daddy." Hermione whispered before they started to walk down the aisle.


The room all stood up and faced the back, gasping and smiling as they watched Hermione walk down the aisle. Draco’s jaw dropped. Harry was wrong. She was so beautiful, words couldn’t describe it. She blushed and smiled as she walked toward him, eyes locked on his face alone.

“Doesn’t she look beautiful,” he whispered to no one in particular, but he didn’t wait to hear the answer. He didn’t feel Harry grip his shoulder for a brief moment either.


There he was waiting for her. Just a few more feet,' she told herself. Hermione locked her eyes with is, and the rest of the room melted away. Draco smiled at her as she stepped closer. She was almost there.


When they finally got to the front of the room, Hermione’s dad adjusted her veil and placed her hand in Draco’s awaiting one. Giving Draco a pat on the back, Mr. Granger took his place next to his wife. The preacher’s eyes swept across the room before beginning.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness the joining of this young couple. Who gives this woman?” He asked. Mr. and Mrs. Granger stepped forward and stated that they were giving Hermione to Draco. She shot them a watery smile before turning back to Draco. “Such a love I see between these two souls. I’d like to start with a prayer and have the couple repeat after me.”

“Lord help us to remember when
we first met and the strong
love that grew between us.
To work that love into
practical things so that nothing
can divide us.
We ask for words both kind
and loving and hearts always
ready to ask forgiveness
as well as to forgive.
Dear Lord, we put our
marriage into your hands”

“Amen,” Draco and Hermione said as they finished reciting the prayer after the preacher, still not breaking eye contact with each other.

“Before the traditional vows are exchanged, the bride and groom have each written their own vows for one another.” The preacher said. He looked over at Draco to begin. He took a deep breath.

“I, Draco, affirm my love to you, Hermione, as I invite you to share my life. You are the most beautiful, smart, and generous person I have ever known, and I promise always to respect you. With kindness, unselfishness and trust, I will work by your side to create a wonderful life together.” Draco said, repeating the words it took him two weeks to write. Hermione let out the tears she had been holding in.

“Draco, you are my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. From this day on, you will have my hand, my heart, and my love.” Hermione said, giving his hands a squeeze. They looked at the preacher to continue.

“May I have the rings please?” Harry stepped forward and handed the rings to both Draco and Hermione. “Do you, Hermione, take Draco to be you lawfully wedded husband?”

“I do.”

“Do you, Draco, take Hermione to be you lawfully wedded wife?”

“I do.”

“Do you together promise in the presence of your friends and family that you will at all times and in all circumstances, conduct yourselves toward one another as becomes Husband and Wife? Do you together promise you will love, cherish and respect one another throughout the years?”

“We do.” They said in unison. As the preacher asked if there was anyone who objected to their marriage, Hermione looked out across the cramped chapel. She could see her mother weeping along with several others. Several of their friends from Hogwarts were smiling up at her.

“You many kiss the bride.” Draco dipped her and gave her a long, passionate kissed that received several wolf whistles from the crowd. “Ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to be the first to present Mr. and Mrs. Draco Malfoy.”

AN-Sappy? Yes. Did I cry a little while writing it? Unfortunately, yes. I’m sorry if weddings don’t usually go like that. I must confess, the only wedding that I attended was when I was eight. I didn’t really pay attention and it was a catholic one, so all I paid attention to was when to stand, kneel, and sit. Also, I’m not religious, I’m not to sure if there is religion in the wizarding world or what faith Hermione is and I don’t know if I offend anyone by making it all “Dear lord, blah blah.” I had to do a lot of research for the vows. I did not write them, I found them on . If that’s forgery I’m sorry, but I couldn’t come up with a single vow. I did change them a little bit though. Ok enough from me. You know what to do, right? You click on the little button down at the bottom of the page and leave me a nice comment about how much you loved the chapter and I’ll reply back and then post the next chapter on Monday. It’s not that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment