Thursday, February 11, 2010

Prove It Chapter Seven

AN-Here’s a new update. Took me awhile, I know, but I started a new school a few weeks ago, so I’ve been trying to adjust to that. If I may do a little story pimping here, I am revising Harry Potter and the Found Family, please check it out. I did a major overhaul of sorts on it. I’m also going to start working on revising Prove It as well, because some suggested it. I won’t make major changes, but I’ve been reading it and I can see where some revisions would make it better. Enjoy the chapter.

Chapter 7

“Mischief managed.” Hermione said, folding the Marauder’s Map that she borrowed from Harry. She really needed to talk to Ron, but he hadn’t been seen by a soul all day. The little dot with his name on it was sitting up on the Astronomy tower. She began the track up to the tower and found Ron sitting on the wall with his feet dangling over the edge. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Ron replied, not turning to meet her gaze. Hermione sat down against the wall, not brave enough to sit on it like Ron, and waited for him to talk first. “Hermione, he’s Draco Malfoy.”

“Yes. And you’re Ron Weasley; I’m Hermione Granger, and Harry’s Harry Potter. Who else are we missing here?” Hermione asked sarcastically, already starting to get aggravated. She drew a deep breath, reminding herself to stay calm and not yell at him. Or, worse case scenario, push him off the tower.

“How?” Ron questioned. Hermione looked down at her knees, wringing her fingers together and didn’t say anything. Ron turned his head to look down at her. “Well, I’m waiting. How did you two get together?”

“One night I was patrolling and I ran into Draco and one thing led to another.” Hermione said slowly. She supposed Ron could figure out the rest. This was somewhat harder telling to Ron. Maybe because she knew Harry and she were each others confidants and could tell each other anything. “After that, I just couldn’t stop seeing him. And now, I really care for him. And he clearly does me because he was the one who suggested sitting with me at breakfast and going public.”

“He’ll hurt you just like he has for the past seven years.” Ron said, his voice barely audible. “He’s not right for you.”

“And who is right for me, Ronald?” Hermione spat, her patience disappeared and replaced with rage. She stood up and turned to face him. “Well, tell me. You clearly know who the perfect guy is for me better than I do.”

Ron cringed at her tone but didn’t say anything. Hermione felt tears stinging at her eyes. She turned around and walked to the door. She gave one last look over her shoulder. “You know, Draco was at least willing to bury the hatchet and attempt civility with you for my sake. He is with Harry. And Harry accepts this. Why can’t you?”

And with that she ran down the staircase. As she reached the seventh floor, she didn’t realize her feet weren’t carrying her in the direction of Gryffindor, but instead the Slytherin dungeons until she reached the wall that hid the Slytherin common room. Was he even in the common room? Even if he wasn’t, she could go in and wait in his room. But then another thought hit her. Was it safe to go in there with out Draco to protect her from the other Slytherins who hated her? Sure, she could fend for herself if there were one or two, but not a dormitory full.

Drawing her wand and hiding inside her sleeve, she said the password and stepped inside, trying to ignore the glares of the students inside as she glanced around the room for Draco. A wave of relief crashed through her when she found him sitting in an armchair by the fire with Crabbe and Goyle and she nearly ran over to where they were. Draco looked at her in confusion and shock.

“Hermione, what are you doing here?” Draco asked. Other people in the room fixed their gazes on Hermione, wanting to know the same thing. He got up and put a hand on her elbow. “Come on, let’s go somewhere more private.”

“He doesn’t understand,” Hermione said finally after she and Draco reached his room. Draco looked at her in confusion. “Ron. I tried to talk some sense into him. I tried to make him understand you and me being together. But he didn’t understand. All he could think was you’re Draco Malfoy, the guy who’s tormented the three of us.”

“I realize I’ve been a huge jerk, but I’m trying to make up for it.” Draco said, as he sat down next to her on the bed.

“I know you have. And I love that you’ve been trying to change and get along with Harry. But Ron’s my friend too, and I want him accept you.” Hermione said, trying to fight the tears that were threatening to fall again. Merlin, Ron makes her so mad. “I need him to accept this. But he won’t. He said you aren’t good for me.”

“Hermione, if he can’t accept this, then maybe he’s not really your friend.” Draco said. Saying that, he realized, was a really big mistake. For soon, Hermione stopped fighting the tears and started sobbing. He wrapped his arm around her. “I’m sorry.”

“What were we thinking? This will never work. We’re just too different. No one will accept it. Maybe we should just end this now before we get hurt.” Hermione rambled, not making much sense. Draco got down on the floor and forced her to look him in the eyes.

“What are you babbling about? I don’t understand. What happened to the Hermione Granger who didn’t give a rats arse what people thought of her, including a certain Weasley who used to think of you as completely mental? Huh, where’s that Hermione hiding?” Draco questioned, ever breaking eye contact. “I don’t care what others think.”

“You don’t?” Hermione gasped in surprise. Draco shook his head. ‘Maybe Draco really has changed,’ she mused.

“Nope. Hell, I’m pretty sure the entire Slytherin house won’t speak to me, save for Crabbe and Goyle. But what other people think doesn’t really matter, does it? Now can you stop being so melodramatic and trying to break up with me?”

“You’re right.” Hermione said after a while, dabbing her eyes with the tissues Draco conjured for her. “I don’t know what happened to my senses just now. Every doubt I ever had was just amplified when I was talking to Ron.”

“Are you ok now?” He asked, rejoining her on the bed. She gave a weak smile and nodded. Draco pulled her down on the bed to lie down next to him, putting his arm under her neck and wrapping it around he shoulder. They lay in silence for about a half hour, Draco tracing circles on her upper arm. “Will you stay again tonight?”

“No, I should go back to Gryffindor Tower. I shouldn’t get so used to sleeping with you. Because then what would happen when you’re not around and I have to sleep by myself?” Hermione questioned. ‘Since when do you need someone with you to sleep,’ her mind asked. In truth the night before, after they fell asleep after making love; that was the most restful sleep Hermione had in a long time.

“And just where will I be at when I’m not around? Look, don’t worry about whatever the future holds, let’s just focus on tonight,” Draco said softly. Hermione rolled over and rested her head on his chest, listening to the faint thud of his heart. The rhythmic beats soon lulled her into sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment