Monday, February 8, 2010

The Power of a Wish Chapter Six

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Disclaimer: Harry Potter is not mine. But the plot is! MWAHAHAHA

The Power of a Wish

Chapter Six

'...' indicates thought

*...* indicates emphasis

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

From last time:

"No. And you'd better go check on your injuries. You wouldn't want any of them to get infected."

"Will do." He turned and started off down the hall.

"Wait! Draco, don't forget what I said!" He continued down the hall. "Don't forget what I said," I whispered to myself, "don't forget."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

*Hermione's POV*

I stretched lazily and opened my eyes slowly, the bright sun streaming in through the window opposite my bed making me close them rather quickly again. I rolled over and opened my eyes when my head was buried in the pillow. I sighed in relief at the darkness.

Unfortunately, you can't walk around with a pillow over your face all day. With a groan I put the pillow back on the bed and forced myself to get up and face the sun.

I sleepily got dressed thankful that I'd taken a shower last night after I'd gotten back from my walk. But my walk had turned out so much different then I thought it would be.

Who would have ever thought I'd see Malfoy cry and that I'd be the one to comfort him? From what I understood, Lucius Malfoy couldn't make his son cry. He beat him and put him down yet he could never make him shed a tear. Where as I when I had comforted him he'd broken down.

I think last night was a turning point between Malfoy and myself. No I should rephrase that. Between Draco and me. He had opened himself to me, asked for my help, allowed me to show him kindness. He was changing for the better that much I was certain about.

He was a great person underneath. And I think it would be wonderful if I could be the one to show everyone what he was really like.

I scooped up my book bag and slung it over my shoulder. I tilted to my right and had to grasp onto the bedpost for support. Maybe Ron was right; I did have too many books. I made my way down to the commons where Ron and Harry were.

I still hadn't decided if I should tell them about my conversation with Draco. It was such a fragile bond that was holding us together and I didn't want a chance of it breaking. But then again, Harry and Ron *were* my best friends.

The two people in question broke off their conversation with Dean and made their way over to me.

"Morning Mione," said Ron, giving me a good morning kiss on the cheek.

"Good morning to you too," I said with a smile. "Shall we head down for breakfast?"

Ron's freckled face bobbed up and down and he grabbed me by my hand and basically dragged me out of the room. Harry followed with a shake of his head. Nothing would ever get between Ron and a meal, nothing.

I was busy trying to peel an orange when Harry shot a question at me. "So how was your walk?"

"It was fine," I said a little nervously.

"Anything interesting happen?"

"No, not really."

Harry and Ron shared a look with each other. I knew they knew something. Did they see me with Draco? My hand went up and started to stroke the ruby lion on its chain, a habit I noticed I did when I was nervous.

"Is there something you're not telling us Mione?"

I opened my mouth to blurt out the entire truth when I was saved by the bell. Or rather the mail. The hundreds of owls swooped into the Great Hall all carrying packages or letters for their target.

My gaze landed on a solid black eagle owl that was gliding towards the Slytherin table. It came to a halt right next to Draco and held out its foot for Draco to untie the letter. Once he removed it the bird took off.

I got a strange sense that something was wrong. That owl didn't seem normal; almost evil. It had a very dark presence and Draco actually looked scared for a second when the owl had stopped in front of him before his mask had slipped back into place.

He unrolled the parchment and I watched with increasing worry as his eyes scanned the paper. I could tell that Harry and Ron were watching him too, probably because they'd seen me looking at him.

The Slytherin stood up abruptly, the letter clenched in his hand, a slight frown on his face. He turned and left the Great Hall, leaving his breakfast plate untouched.

I rose from my seat and left the Great Hall as well followed by Ron and Harry. We all paused on the front step of the school and saw Draco heading towards the Forbidden Forest. With a silent unspoken agreement all three of us started after him as quietly as we could.

By the time we reached Hagrid's house we had lost sight of the blond head. "

"Do you think he went *in* the forest?" asked Ron, a hint of fear in his voice. "Cause I don't want to go in there. Don't make me go," he whimpered.

"All right Ron," said Harry. "You stay here. Mione and I will go in."

The two of us walked into the darkness leaving Ron on the border when all of a sudden bushes parting and branches cracking was heard behind us. "I'm coming!" Ron burst from the blackness right next to us. "I don't want to be alone."

I had to stifle a laugh. Ron had just reminded me of a show I used to watch. It was called Scooby Doo. Shaggy and the dog, Scooby, would always say they'd stay in a place when the gang was hunting people disguised as monsters but would always come running and end up helping their friends out a lot.

I put a finger to my lips and we proceeded cautiously, no lights that made walking very difficult. We had been walking for several minutes when I saw a light shining to my left. I pointed it out to the boys and we all approached it.

"What took you so long boy?" asked a harsh voice followed by the sound of someone being hit.

"I'm *so* sorry Father," said Draco, a touch of sarcasm to his voice.

The sound of another hit filled the little clearing. "Don't take that tone with me," growled Lucius.

We peeked through the trees and saw Draco looking at his father with hatred and Lucius looking at his son in rage.

"Come now. We can't keep him waiting, can we?" The elder Malfoy held out a crystal wine glass, which Draco touched with a frown. And in a flash of light, both of them disappeared.

"W-where'd they go?" Ron asked, looking around the now deserted clearing, fear clearly etched in his face.

"They took a portkey," I said matter-of-factly.

A quiet 'Lumos' spoken from Harry quickly lighted up the area. "We should stay here until he comes back."

"Can't we just wait for him on the edge of the forest? There's creatures in here." Ron cast another glance around us.

Trees rose menacingly from the ground their branches fanning above us like a net. Blackness pressed in on us from all sides and bits of wind caught us and made us shiver. Rustling noises and those of wild animals echoed around us. It was indeed not a place I wished to stay in long.

"We have to stay here," I said firmly. "What happens if he's hurt and can't get back to the castle? He'll be killed out here."

"And we'll be killed to if we stay out here," said Ron in defense.

"I'm with Hermione; I'll stay," said Harry, settling down against a tree. I smiled gratefully at him and sat down as well, lighting my wand as well. With a frustrated sigh, Ron sat as well. As much as he didn't like it, he would never leave his friends alone. As Draco would say; stupid Gryffindor loyalty.

*End Mione POV*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

*Draco POV*

I didn't want to do this. I really didn't. But I wouldn't let him hurt her. She was the only one who cared about me. Well, Hermione did seem to want to help me. I guess she was a nice person too.

"Remember Draco, one wrong move and you'll have a dead mother."

"Yes Father, I remember."

"Good."

He was walking very fast down the hall and I had to double my stride to keep up.

"Hurry now Dragon. The Dark Lord does not like to wait."

We paused outside of Father's office door where I knew the Dark Lord was. I had to feel special. He had actually come to my house to give me my mark; I'm sure not very many other Death Eaters had that privilege.

"What are you waiting for Draco? Open the door." It was then I realized that I'd just been standing there. I turned the brass handle and entered the dimly lit office, Father right behind me.

A coldness wrapped it self around me and I felt like I couldn't breathe. Seated in a chair in the middle of the room sat the wizard that everyone feared. His black robes and snakelike face with the red slitted eyes spoke of a great evil about this man.

"Ahhh... Draco. Come closer."

I took two small steps forward doing everything I could to keep the fear from showing in my face. "Closer Boy," he rasped. "I want to get a good look at you."

I kept moving toward him until I was about a step away. He stood up from chair and looked at me. I kept my gaze level with the red orbs. I never backed down and I wouldn't even to the Dark Lord.

He rolled up my left arm sleeve and stared at the unmarked skin of my shoulder. "So pure...." he said, his fingers tracing the empty space in small circles. It took all my will power to not draw back my arm and run from the room as fast as I could go.

Voldemort reached into his robes and came out with a black wand. He touched it lightly across my skin when I noticed a familiar tingle. When I had been hit by a spell from Potter's wand back in second year I had felt a similar sort of sensation. Were Potter and Voldemort's wands connected?

I bit the inside of my mouth to keep a hiss of pain from escaping. The Dark Lord had pressed the wand against my skin and was muttering a spell. I struggled to keep a straight face and not cry out from the pain.

But my resolve failed me when I saw the Dark Mark beginning to appear on my left shoulder. I let out a soft gasp and tried to wrench my arm away but Voldemort grabbed me and held my arm steady. Who would have known his grip was like steel? A small whimper escaped my sealed lips. I couldn't help it; getting the mark hurt like Hell.

A few seconds later it was all over and Voldemort released me. I collapsed on the floor, cradling my arm to me. I could feel Father's eyes on me. He was probably disgusted with the way I acting.

The pain, which was throbbing, began to slow and I stood up slowly, making sure to keep my eyes locked on Voldemort. Father had told me that if you looked at the Dark Lord in the eye right after your ceremony it was a sign that you were weak. To me, if you had the guts to look him in the eye you were strong, and so I followed my own advice.

"You dare look at me?" asked Voldemort, in an eerily calm way. I kept my mouth shut and just continued to stare into the blood colored eyes. "Lucius." Voldemort turned to Father. "Did you not raise your son better?"

Father bowed down and touched his head on the floor. "I am sorry for Draco my Lord. He will be punished."

I couldn't help thinking how pitiful it was that my father was bowing to Voldemort like that. It was pathetic.

"There is no need for punishment Lucius," said Voldemort coolly. "I need your son for something else. Would you mind that I used him for a purpose of my own?"

"Of course not my Lord," said Father, his head still touching the floor. "Take him. You can do whatever you want."

I felt a shiver run down my spine. I didn't want this. I would rather have had Father beat me until I was almost dead then have Voldemort come near me. The way he was looking at me made me feel vulnerable. I was trapped. Father was behind me by the door and Voldemort was in front. There was nowhere to run.

"Come here young Malfoy," commanded Voldemort. I was frozen in terror. There was no way I was going near him again. "I said come here." I forced my legs to move and carry me towards the snakeish man. It'd be better to get whatever he had in store for me over now.

I continued to stare right at him, not letting my eyes leave his. "Are you scared of me Draco?" he asked, a mocking ring to his voice.

"No," I said, making sure my voice didn't waver.

"But you seem terrified of me."

"I'm not. I'm not scared of anyone."

"Not scared of anyone? Then why do you cringe when I touch you?" he said, placing one of his bony fingers against my cheek.

I didn't answer. I didn't know what to say.

"I have a special treat for you Draco. Would you like the chance to be the second most powerful wizard?"

I heard Father give a slight gasp behind me. Yeah Father, now you're proud because your son will be powerful. You only used me to gain a higher status and now you can brag to all your friends what a strong son you have. Bastard.

"Why do you not answer?" He started to circle me, like a hawk circling it's catch. "Do you not wish to have this power?"

I know I was most likely going to get in trouble for this... but anything to make Father feel embarrassed about was fine with me. "Why do you want *me* to have this power my Lord?"

"You are unlike my other subjects. You are defiant and do not care that you are lying to my face, nor do you talk like some people; you know when to hold your tongue. And for that you will be rewarded. But a price comes too."

I looked at him, careful to keep all emotion clear of my face. "And what price is that my Lord?"

"You will soon see. Now hold out your marked arm."

Trembling, I raised my arm and he grabbed it roughly. And then he touched his own skin with his wand and the wands tip glowed an angry red. He brought it towards me and it was then I knew I did not want that to touch me. I tried to pull away again, but the wand made contact with the skull.

At once, waves of burning agony rolled over me and with a cry I fell to the floor. "Listen here Draco," said Voldemort coldly. "You are now my heir, but only if you can survive the pain. A direct fuse of my blood is in you, along with some of my power. The pain will be there until you either die or overcome it."

I risked a look at my arm where the pain was originating. The Dark Mark, which had been coal black, was now a bright blood red. Images swam in my vision as the pain tried to take over, but I wouldn’t let it.

Weakly, I rose to my feet, my right arm clutching the left in hopes to dull the raging pain. I forced myself to bow to Voldemort and then quickly left the room. I heard the pop of someone apparating and then Father came into the hall and found me leaning against the wall for support.

He held out the wine cup and I touched it. Seconds later, there was no sign I'd ever been at Malfoy Manor.

As soon as my feet felt the dirt ground of the Forbidden Forest floor I gave a small sigh of relief. I was back.

I could have sworn I saw some lights to my side, but they vanished before I was even sure. Before I could ponder that, I felt a blow slam me across the face. I went flying and crashed into a tree.

Father stalked towards me, a scowl on his face. "If you ever," he spat, "insult the Malfoy name even more then you already have, I'll kill you."

I struggled to stand, my body telling me to stay down, my pride telling me never to give up. "I'm sorry Father. Next time I'll be sure to follow your every instruction."

He backhanded me across the face. "Don't you dare mock me Dragon. Now you'd better make me proud." Then in a pop he was gone.

I collapsed on the ground, falling to my knees in a defeated pose. My body still wracked with pain I felt my eyes close, welcoming the coming darkness.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment