Monday, February 8, 2010

The Power of a Wish Chapter Ten

Disclaimer: Sorry everyone, no guest stars today. But like normal, I‘ll say that I do not own and Harry Potters characters or their ideas. The plot is mine though, all mine!

hugs plot

I‘ve been on sugar....

Oh yes, and I have been informed I’ve been missing my quotes. Stay tuned for them at the end!

The Power of a Wish

Chapter Ten

Well, you should all know those little markings by now. And as stated in Draco‘s Spirit, I can‘t use asterisks or squiggle anymore so wide spaces will separate where certain paragraphs should be marked off. Okay, so spacing isn't working... Look for those long lines instead...

From last time:

"Yes, I'm afraid I could use your help. But understand this Draco, you needn't say yes to what I'm about to ask you to do. I would be asking you to risk your life, be subject to danger, and face certain death if anyone was to ever catch you."

"I don't think any of those will be a problem Professor. Believe me, I've dealt with worse."

Dumbledore eyed Draco questionably, probably wanting to know what the worse was, but didn't say anything. "I'm asking you to spy for the Order of the Phoenix Draco. The Order is a group composed of myself and others who defy Voldemort. Severus is a spy as well, but with someone of your rank, the information we could gain from you would be invaluable."

Draco opened his mouth to speak, but Dumbledore held up a hand. "Think about it before you answer Draco."

A few minutes passed in silence, Draco chewing on his lower lip. "Professor. I've made my decision."

"And your decision is?"

"I want to be a spy."


Narcissa POV

“Thank you so much!” I exclaimed, giving the woman, my long time friend a hug. “This means so much to me!”

Molly Weasley smiled at me, and brushed some invisible dust off of her flowered apron. “It’s nothing Cissa. I just want you to feel at home and not worry about a thing. Now follow me, I’ll show you to your room.”

I followed Molly down a dark hall, past pictures of my old family members. I’m currently at the Black Manor, also known as Grimmauld Place where I would be staying with my cousin, Sirius Black. (Okay, is he her cousin or brother? We’ll just make it cousin for now)

From what I understand, Draco told Albus Dumbledore a how Malfoy Manor wasn’t safe for me anymore. He had immediately had me moved here in the middle of the night so Lucius would never know. Now I was safe, no more did I have to fear for my own life and safety.

But just because I was safe doesn’t mean that Draco is. He agreed to be a spy for the Order, a group whose headquarters were stationed right here in this very house.

“Molly?” I asked timidly as we went up a creaky set of stairs, “Do you think Sirius... will hate me? I know I shouldn’t have gone with Lucius, he’d told me so many times, but-”

“Everyone makes mistakes in life Cissa. Sirius is an understanding person, he’ll realize that you know you made a wrong decision and he’ll overlook it. I’m pretty sure he’d like to meet his nephew too.”

“You mean Draco?”

“Yes, and your niece is here as well Cissa. I don’t know if you remember her, but Nymphadora will certainly remember you. Can’t say she’ll like you much, but just give her time.”

I nodded “When do I get so see Sirius? It’s been such a long time. Although I’m still having trouble accepting the fact that he never murdered those muggles. And to think I had Peter in my house several times!”

“Here’s your room,” said Molly cheerfully, stopping outside door that had black paint peeling off of it. “I apologize for the room, it needs redecoration but the Order doesn’t really want to spend money fixing an old house up. If you need anything, just call and breakfast will be served tomorrow around eight, you should see Sirius then. Good night Narcissa.”

“Good night Molly. And again, thank you.” Stepping into the room, I closed the worn door behind me and looked around at my new chamber. Compared to my old bedroom, this was something from a dump, but I loved it.

It had that cheerful feeling that you didn’t get in the manor. A large brass bed rested in the corner with a handmade quilt on the foot. A vase of bright yellow flowers was placed on top of a tall brown dresser. A little rug lay on the hardwood floor next to the bed. I was going to enjoy it here.

When I woke up the next morning, the first thing I did was panic. Where the heck was I? But then when I saw that vase of flowers, everything came flooding back to me and I lay back contented on the down pillows.

The smell of eggs and bacon wafted through the floor and I inhaled deeply, not having tasted home made food like this in such a long time. Well, what I mean to say is when the house elves cook it, they don’t exactly but tender loving care into the meal, but Molly sure can cook!

Dropping the quilt to the floor, I rolled out of bed and proceeded out of the room, dressed in just my sleeping pants and shirt. Hey, it’s not like there’s anything revealing about it! And besides, I’m hungry and don’t feel like changing right now.

Following my nose, I found myself in a huge kitchen, Molly humming over the stove and flipping a pancake high into the air. A man with long black hair sat at the table, reading a newspaper and occasionally taking a bite out of his eggs that sat next to him.

I sat down silently in a chair next to him, eyeing his frame up and down. So this was my cousin, the infamous Sirius Black. He looked up at me over the top of the paper, his black eyes piercing into me. “I see you’ve finally made the right choice Narcissa.”

I nodded and looked at my hands that were neatly folded in my lap. “Yes... When Albus told me that Draco had requested I moved out right away, but of course Lucius doesn’t know. He would kill me if he ever found out I had switched sides, Draco too, behind his back.”

“Well, it’s nice to see you again. Haven’t really spoken to you since school times, have I?”

“No. As soon as I got associated and then married Lucius you broke all ties with me. And shortly after that, you were thought to have killed the muggles and were taken to Azkaban. How did you escape in the first place?”

“Like this.” A split second later, a large black shaggy dog was sitting on the chair that Sirius had occupied, wagging his bushy tail before transforming back. “I’m an unregistered anigmius.”

“I see. Very clever of you.”

“I’ll let James take the credit,” he laughed. “Now grab a plate and eat something! You must be starving!

Smiling, I took a spoonful of eggs of the platter and a piece of sausage off of the dish and ate heartily, feeling content and secure for the first time in my life since being married to Lucius.

End Narcissa POV


Draco POV

“Hurry up!” yelled Harry. “We’re going to be late!”

Hermione grabbed my books off of the table, ignoring the other Slytherins, and attempted to pull me away from my breakfast. Sliding off the long bench, I allowed her to drag me away towards Potions, which was doubled with the Gryffindors.

The four of us headed down the damp corridor, laughing and talking about the very interesting Care of Magical Creatures lesson we’d had yesterday. That half giant, Hagrid, had attempted to let us each care for a puffskein, but when the wind had picked up.... The poor little creatures were probably halfway across the Atlantic Ocean by now.

We entered the class and took our respective seats, me with Ron and the other two splitting up. Snape had miraculously turned nicer to the Gryffindors, or at least the ones I hung around with. Probably because they’d been helping me out and in his own way, Snape felt indebted because I probably wouldn’t be here right now if they hadn’t cared.

“Class,” said Snape in his normal cold way, “Please take out your essays and pass them up to the front. Then work on the Hiding Potion for the remainder of the class. The directions are on the board.”

His piece spoken, Snape sat down at his desk and started to read the essays that the students were placing on his desk in a large, heaping pile.

Ron and I worked in companionable silence for the class, only talking when one of us needed an ingredient or some help, although I never needed help, that was Ron. I glanced up from the simmering potion and glanced around the class.

Pansy had been staring straight at me, writing something down, but looked quickly away when she caught my gaze. I felt a little uneasy after that... What had Parkinson been writing? Was it about me?

I lived on dangerous ground now. Sure, I was still in charge of the Slytherins, but many were unsure and suspicious about the relation I had with Harry and his friends, particularly Hermione.

Despite our agreement to not be nice to each other, I couldn’t help but feel more like I belonged when I hung around with those four. Especially Hermione, she seemed to always make me fit in.

After class ended, I headed in a separate direction with my Slytherin classmates then the Gryffindors. I bid the trio farewell and started down the hall, glancing uneasily at Pansy who tucked a paper into her book bag.

For the rest of the day I was on edge, not being able to relax because I kept thinking about what Pansy was writing. She’d been studying me throughout the entire day and even during dinner. If she was stalking me, I could report her, but for some reason I think it is for a different cause.

I left the Great Hall as soon as I finished dinner and headed for the peacefulness of the lake. I had just settled down when a hand was put down lightly on my shoulder. I yelled, and jumped up my wand drawn.

“Hermione?” I asked in disbelief, lowering my wand.

“Are you feeling alright Draco? You seem a little jumpy....”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Thought you were Parkinson, that’s all.”

“Pansy? Why?”

“I get the feeling that she’s spying on me. I’m not positive or anything, but I can’t be too careful, can I? Why don’t you sit down?” I held out my hand which she took and I pulled her down to the ground with me.

“I see. Listen Draco... Can we talk?”

“Sure,” I said agreeably. “What about?” Is it just me, or is she sounding nervous?

“Okay....” She took a deep breath and then looked straight at me, her honey brown eyes looking into my bright silver, “Don’t interrupt me, okay? And don’t say yes.” I snapped my mouth closed and proceeded to listen to her.

“This may sound crazy to you Draco, but I.... I....I think I like you...... What I mean to say is I think I‘m falling in love with you.... I can‘t help but notice everything about you, feel this warm feeling when we talk, I just... want you. ”

I remained silent, just staring at her face until she was forced to look away. “But what about Ron?” I asked. “Weren’t you two going out?”

She looked back at me. “Yes, we were. But then I called it off. I realized he was only a friend, more like a brother to me then anything. He agreed to it because... Well because he knew my heart was already with someone else.”

“Me?” I whispered.

“Yes....,” she said softly. Then her voice rose in pitch and she started to speak quickly. “Listen, forget everything I just said. I just remembered I have a Transfiguration essay to finish, so I’ll be going now. See you tomorrow.”

She rose to leave, but I caught her wrist and pulled her back down next to me. “Honestly Hermione, did you just mean what you said?”

“Which one?”

“That you liked me. Was that true?”

Tears started to stream from her honey eyes, falling soundlessly to the grass as she openly wept. “Yes... I meant it. But I don’t even deserve you, I’m nothing but a good for nothing mud blood, I’m -”

I bent forward quickly before she could utter another insult to herself, capturing her lips in my own. Her eyes widened in slight surprise, but she responded instantly, brushing her tongue against my lips for entrance. Readily, I agreed.

She leaned forward, her hands grasping onto the robes near my neck to steady herself from the passionate kiss we were sharing. I bent backwards to try to regain my balance and tumbled right down the bank, bringing Hermione with me.

The whole way down, we alternated top bottom position until we reached the sand around the lake, me back on the bottom. Greedily, I kissed her, wanting her taste to just fill me. It felt like I could never get enough of her pale pink cherry lips.

A few seconds later, we both pulled away, panting for breath. “Does...does that tell you how I feel?” I gasped, looking up at her.

“More,” she murmured before claiming my lips again. About an hour later, we just lay on the sand, her head resting on my chest. “Draco,” she said softly, staring up at the sky, “I wish things could always be this way.”

“Me too Mione,” I said, running my hands through her brown hair, “me too.”


“And the quaffle is passed to McHenry. He dodges Grant, he shoots... he scores! Another ten points for Gryffindor!”

I swore and banged my gloved hand on the black surface of my new broom, the Dark Moon. We were losing, ten to forty. “What’s the matter Malfoy?” called Harry, hovering a few feet from me, “Are the Slytherins losing their already awful touch?”

“Shut it Potter!” I barked. “We can beat your red and gold butts anytime we want. Name the time and place.”

“How about now?” he called, diving out of the way of a bludger.

“And Zabani has the quaffle... He dodges past Weasley and... Ten points for Slytherin!” Loud booing filled the stadium and I could feel my blood starting to rush, the thrill of the game finally hitting me.

I did a large loop-de-loop in the middle of the field, and then took off in a dark blur of green, just wanting to feel the wind brushing through my hair, the feeling and freedom that flying gave me.

The game continued on for the next two hours, both Harry and I seeing the snitch but always being blocked off from it by the other team. Tensions were running high, that was for sure. And right now, it was Gryffindor beaters going after the poor Slytherin seeker...me.

Dodging another black bludger, a flash of gold to my left caught my attention and I whirled my broom in that direction, only to feel something impact on my right side and then blinding pain as I heard the cracking of several ribs.

Yet still, I continued to fly for the golden ball, which Potter had just caught sight of. A few seconds later, we were riding side by side, the snitch just a little out of reach. Then Harry rammed me, and I fought vainly to stay on my broom, my ribs aching with fresh pain. For some reason, I don’t think Harry saw me get hit by that bludger.

He shoved me on the injured side again and I blinked quickly to prevent the tears and then rammed him back, biting my lip to keep from crying out on the impact on the busted ribs. To win sometimes, sacrifices had to be made.

Harry turned and grinned at me, the annoying grin that read ‘I’m not letting you beat me’ and shoved my again, my whole frame crashing into the lower part of the bleachers. Determinedly, I kept on him, ramming Harry again, but this time from the other side so I wouldn’t injure myself more.

He laughed and pushed me back, so that the left side absorbed the impact. I still felt the jarring but it wasn’t as bad. I could last a few more minutes.... I could....

Black spots began to swim in my vision. The last thing I saw was Harry’s hand close around the snitch before I felt myself falling and then nothing.

End Draco POV


Hermione POV

I heard myself scream amid the loud cheering of the Gryffindors as Draco plummeted over the side of his broom, making no move to slow his descent. Harry, who had been waving at the crowd holding the snitch must have heard the scream and he looked down to see Draco falling towards the ground at an incredible speed.

He didn’t need anyone to tell him what to do. Pushing his broom into a nosedive, he raced towards Draco and caught him, just barely and slung him over the back of the broom, landing immediately.

I ran out onto the field, Madam Pomfrey following closely behind. Harry was shaking Draco by the shoulders, trying to get him to open his eyes.

“Stop that Mr. Potter,” scolded the medi witch. “Whatever injury he has, you’re obviously making it worse. Now let’s see...”

First she checked over his head for any sign of injury, while a group of curious students crowded around. I was kneeling on the ground next to Harry and on Draco’s side so no one would bump him.

Moving on, she checked his arms, a popular body part seekers managed to hurt, but found nothing there either. Then applying gentle pressure, she pressed down on his chest and he let out a soft moan. “I think I located the problem,” she said assuredly.

She began to cut the green uniform from Draco, but Dumbledore who had come over to the scene, placed a hand on her arm and shook his head slightly. “Alright everyone, stand back,” called the nurse, conjuring a stretcher which she levitated Draco on to. Then she headed for the castle, the stretcher following her.

Harry and I followed with Dumbledore and Snape, who had detached himself from the crowd. Minutes later, we were all gathered in the Hospital Wing and Pomfrey was once again cutting off of Draco’s shirt.

“Really Albus,” she said, “I honestly don’t see why I couldn’t treat him on the field.”

“Look at his left arm,” said Dumbledore softly. “That’s why.”

Madam Pomfrey pulled off the material and gasped. “He’s a Death Eater?”

“Shhh, not so loud Poppy,” said Snape. “Yes, but he isn’t a bad one, he works for Dumbledore. But the students would surely panic and rumors would spread. Now can we get back to what is important, let’s say why Draco fell off his broom?

“Yes, of course.” She finished pulling off the green quidditch uniform and pointed. “That’s why.” The whole right side of Draco was a mass of purple and black bruising. “It looks like he has several broken ribs,” said the medi witch. “Probably from a bludger attack although I can’t say ramming him didn’t do this either. Nothing I can’t fix.”

Harry looked guiltily at his feet and I quickly spoke up. “I don’t think Fred and George meant to seriously injure him like this. They were just trying to get him out of Harry’s way. And Harry,” I said turning to the other seeker, “You didn’t know so don’t sweat it, okay?”

The Gryffindor seeker nodded, but still looked upset about the entire thing. I watched as Madam Pomfrey took some dark green gooze out of a bottle and started to rub it onto the black and blue mass.

“Now, no one is to touch him. We must let the gel do its work and that’ll take about an hour. Could everyone please leave? Mr. Malfoy needs his rest.”

I hesitated at the door. “Would it be alright if I stayed? Please?”

Dumbledore paused in the entrance and said, “Of course you can Miss Granger. Just don’t disturb him.”

“Thank you.” I heard the nurse muttering under her breath about how soft hearted the headmaster was, a small smile mixed with a grimace on her face.

Settling myself down in a chair next to the bed, I took his hand, on the uninjured side, into my own and just started to brush my thumb in small circles over the pale skin.

It had been almost a month since I had told Draco how I felt about him, quite relieved to say he felt the same why. Often we were seen around the castle, holding hands, sharing a quick kiss, all that normal couple stuff. Harry and Ron liked to joke we were joined at the hip, so what had Draco done? He’d taken out his wand and joined us! Fortunately, I knew the counter curse.

So far, no one has contacted Draco for a meeting or a mission or anything of the sort. Thank God! I won’t let the others know, they’d think I was worry rat, but I didn’t want to see any of my friends hurt. It was sure to happen, I know, but the thought that I could lose one of them made my heart ache.

The head nurse came bustling towards Draco’s bed, armed with a towel and some water. “Miss Granger, when I rub water on, you follow with a towel, understand?”

“Yes.” Seconds later, the green gloop was gone and so was the bruising.

“He’ll still be sore for a while, but all the bones have mended themselves and he’ll be as good as new in no time. When he wakes up, could you please escort him to the Great Hall? Dinner will be served soon.”

“Of course. Um... Do you have a spare set of robes he could wear? He doesn’t exactly have a shirt left and his pants are from quidditch. “

“Whoops, of course Dear. Hang on one moment.” Poppy disappeared behind a curtain and came back out with a set of robes and a pair of pants and a shirt to go on underneath. “I’d better wrap these too,” she said after looking at Draco. “They’ll help to stabilize the healing process.”

So, very carefully, Madam Pomfrey bound bandages around Draco’s ribs and tied it off. “There we go. He should be waking up shortly... Miss Granger, can I trust you enough to lock the Hospital door behind you?”

“Yes, you can. I’ll see you at dinner.” The nurse nodded and left through the door, leaving Draco and myself alone in the hospital.

A few minutes after the nurse had left, Draco began to stir, a soft moan of pain issuing from his mouth. He opened his eyes and blinked up at me several times. “Mione?”

“Yep, that’s me! Be careful Draco, you had a pretty rough game earlier...”

“What happened?” he asked, gingerly sitting up, rubbing his hand over the bandages. “And where’s the rest of my uniform?”

“Your uniform is in the laundry and I have some school robes here for you to wear. As for your other question, you fell off your broom after Harry caught the snitch. It looks like you had several broken ribs. I guess it is a good thing that the ones you got from Lucius healed, huh?”

“Yeah.. Can you pass me the shirt?” I handed him the gray material and he slipped it on over his head, ruffling the blond locks.

“Hey Draco?” I asked, my back to him as he finished getting dressed. “Why didn’t you tell Dumbledore about your father? If you did, we could have him arrested.”

“Okay, Mione you can look now.” Draco slung his legs over the bed and stood unsteadily on his feet. “Well I guess the reason would be,” he said, taking a few steps towards the door, “Is if I did, wouldn’t that hurt my position with the Death Eaters? I mean, I’d be getting one of their top leaders arrested just because I got banged up a little.”

“But you weren’t banged up ‘a little’,” I protested, “Let’s try a lot.”

“It doesn’t matter Hermione. Besides, I’m fine now. Come on, let’s head down for dinner; I’m starving!”

He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the door, his ribs not seeming to bother him in the least. Then again, after having to walk around with broken ribs for a while, I can see why this wouldn’t effect him.

We entered the Great Hall and joined our respective tables. Draco slid into his seat and started to help himself to a biscuit while several of the Slytherins began to ask him what had happened.

“Is he going to be alright Mione?” asked Ron.

“Draco? Of course he’ll be fine! Look at him, his injuries aren’t even bothering him. And his ribs have completely healed.”

“Why didn’t he yell at me to stop? If he had, I wouldn’t have hurt him so badly.”

“He wanted a fair game Harry,” said Ron. “It wouldn’t have been fair, in his opinion, if you stopped blocking and shoving.”

“I guess so,” said Harry dejectedly. “I’ll see you guys later, I’m feeling a bit tired.”

“Okay, good night Harry,” I said.

“Night Mate,” called Ron after Harry’s retreating form.

“You know what? I’m feeling awfully tired too.”

I yawned. “I’ll agree with that. Come on, let’s head upstairs.” Following Ron out of the hall, I blew Draco a kiss and he sent one back my way.

Ron shook his head, grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the hall. I could understand, Draco and I were always doing these things that embarrassed him as he liked to put it.

Minutes later, I tumbled into bed, and let myself be flown away on my dreams.

End Hermione POV


Draco POV

I nodded to whatever Zabani had just said and pulled my legs over the bench and started to leave the Great Hall. All the events of today were catching up and I just felt exhausted.

Trudging down the hall, I muttered the password to the Slytherin dungeons and entered, my feet heavy as I plodded up the staircase towards my large comfy bed. I entered, all ready just to dive into bed, but the black owl sitting there said otherwise.

At once, all thoughts of bed fled my head and I untied the piece of parchment of the bird’s leg. Undoing the Malfoy crest, I quickly scanned the letter.

Draco,

There are several things I wish to discuss with you. As soon as you get this message, report immediately to the Manor. I’ll be waiting, but not for long.

Father

Maybe this was a letter informing me of Voldemort’s next attack. Or news on plans for the Death Eaters. What ever it is, it could help the Order a lot! But he said immediately, do I have time to visit Dumbledore or Snape?

Nope, and I can’t leave a note in case one of the other Slytherins finds it. I’ll just have to chance this one on my own. I picked up the enclosed portkey, a glass bead, and then felt the familiar tug around my navel.

Seconds later, I landed sprawled out on the floor of the entrance way to Malfoy Manor. Getting to my feet, I started down the hall to Father’s office, where he probably would be waiting for me.

Knocking on the door to announce my presence, I then entered and stood in front of Father’s desk, where he was sitting and writing a letter. “Father?” I asked, when he didn’t acknowledge me.

“So you’re here. I can see that Dragon, no need to disturb me.” He went back to writing whatever he had. Inwardly I swore. If he hadn’t wanted me at this exact second, I might have had time to tell Dumbledore where I’d gone.

He dabbed the last bit of ink on the parchment and then rose from his chair, after putting the letter in a drawer. “Come Dragon, I want to show you something.”

Curious, I followed Father out of the office, towards the... dungeons? Why would we be going there? He led the way down the stone steps and my feeling of uneasiness grew with each step. What were we doing down here?

Father stopped outside a cell door. “Go in Dragon,” he said, a mad gleam in his eyes.

Cautiously, I opened the door and looked in... I couldn’t see anything, it was to dark. Tentatively, I took a step in and was suddenly hit with a stunning spell from behind. My body fell forward and hit the hard floor with a thud.

Father entered and closed the door, the room lighting up with torches along the wall. “What did you think we’d be doing in the dungeons Dragon? Having a tea party?” Father circled around and picked up my stunned form, chaining my hands to a wall in front of me.

“I have received some very interesting letters from a fellow student of yours.. Some key points we’ll have to discuss tonight. But first, a sound whipping to open you up should help.”

I felt a knife slash through the back of my shirt and winced at the sound of the cloth landing on the floor.

“What’s this?” spoke Lucius, starting to unwrap the bandages from the hospital wing. “Have you been getting yourself hurt without my help Dragon? I didn’t realize how much the feeling of pain meant to you. So let’s start, shall we?”

The hissing of a whip filled the air, and I braced myself for the worst. A hard, quick stroke of the whip left me feeling helpless as it continued to crash down on my already scarred back.

Biting my lip, I could taste blood. I could feel blood running off of my back, dripping steadily to the floor, in large crimson drops. Blood... It was one of the only things that sent shivers up my spine, one of the scariest things possible. Not being able to stop the crimson liquid from flowing, the utter despair one was left with, it all was the cause of blood.

The crack of the cord hitting my back again drove me out of my senseless thoughts, knowing that if I wanted to remain conscious, it would take all my will power and thinking about blood wasn’t helping.

Suddenly, I felt the manacles that bound my hands to the wall release and I fell to the floor in a crumpled heap.

“Alright then Dragon, down to business...”

Father circled around my fallen form, and I could feel his eyes piercing into my very soul. I looked up and met his gaze with a hardened glare, my silver eyes flashing in anger.

“First of all, I would like to ask about this little friendship thing you have going with Potter. And his two little sidekicks. Are you not a loyal Slytherin? Do you not wish to please me?”

“Actually Father,” I said, spitting out his name, “My main goal in life is to humiliate you in every possible way. That’s why I’m hanging around with Ron and Hermione.”

His booted foot caught me in the back, and snarling he said, “How dare you even say the Mudblood’s name! She is a vile creature, not even fit to walk this Earth.”

Rage was building up inside of me. How dare he insult Hermione! “Hermione is one of the most intelligent people I know. She’s a lot smarter than you’ll ever be!” Okay, so I was making him mad and therefore bringing myself more pain, but I’m not going to let him just insult my friends without a fight.

“CRUCIO!” he yelled, his wand suddenly coming into his hand. “I’m sick of listening to your insults Dragon. Now you’ll pay!”

I screamed in anguish, as the coursing liquid fire moved through my veins, the pain overcame my senses. Blood bubbled out between my lips as Father’s boot connected with my stomach.

He raised the wand a few minutes later, leaving me gasping for air and curled up in a small ball. Blinking back tears, I raised my face to look up at him, not ever going to let him have the satisfaction of seeing my cry.

“How can you be sick of them when they’re the truth?” I taunted. “Can you not just face the facts?”

“Let’s move on to another order of business... I heard some very interesting talk about you and the Mudblood,” he said, once again circling around me.

“Don’t call her that,” I hissed.

“And I heard that you two have been seen much to often together to call just friends anymore. Is it possible that my Pureblood son has fallen for that lowly Dirtyblood?”

“If you even dare hurt her....” I started, “You will regret it.”

He laughed, the horrible noise echoing around the cell. “And who is going to save her? You? Potter? That Weasley boy? I need to teach you a lesson about what happens when one of the Malfoy line falls out of place.”

“Do whatever you want, you’ll never get the one thing you desire most. You’ll never be able to make me cry.” I smirked in satisfaction at the anger that flashed across his face.

“We’ll just have to see about that. If I recall, you liked this one last time. HI YUBIWA!”

At once, the flames wrapped themselves around me, the smell of burning flesh filling my nose. I screamed, rolling on the ground trying to put out the feasting fire. But none of it would fade, if anything just attack more.

Tears pricked at my eyes, and I could almost hear Father’s heavy breathing as he waited for them to fall. Determindedly, I shut my eyes and brought back all the tears, although I felt like just letting them fall.

He removed the curse after a while, leaving me burnt and bleeding on the ground. Huge holes were all over my pants, particularly near my knees, and large angry red burns covered my torso.

“Another matter to discuss Dragon,” said Father, pulling me up by my hair so that I was kneeling and being forced to look up at him. “Where. Did. Your. Mother. Go?”

“No idea. And even if I did, you’d be the last person to know,” I spat, earning a backhand across my face.

“Don’t take that tone with me Dragon,” he growled. “I know you know something about your mother, and when I find out both of you will pay dearly.”

The rest of the evening was taken in alternating forms of consciousness. Sometimes blacking out but then hurriedly waking again and at other times only too aware of what was happening to me.

The worst part about the entire time is that I didn’t even have a chance to fight back. He weakened me in the very beginning so that I couldn’t retaliate. My wand had been in my robes, the robes that were cast across the cell and useless to me.

If only I’d had time to tell Dumbledore. Or even Snape. They could have come looking for me, not let me be a subject to Father’s torturous methods. But in my rush, I hadn’t even thought of how important it was to tell them where I’d gone.

The feeling of being lifted off the floor and then cold metal wrapping itself around my arms jerked me out of my stupor. Father stood leering at me, satisfaction on his features as I hung from the wall supported only by my wrists.

“Good night Dragon. You may return to school tomorrow morning.” With a swish of his cloak, he left the cell, the door slamming shut behind him.

I started to calculate the damage he’d done to me. Many more lacerations were carved deep into my back from the black corded whip. Bright red burns covered my upper half and bruises were forming right and left.

Blood flowed freely from my wounds, dropping to the floor at a steady pace. I licked my dry lips, trying to regain moisture, but winced when I hit the broken flesh. And then, a single salty tear trickled down my cheek, mingling with the blood.

I leaned my head back against the wall, praying that morning would come as fast as possible and I would be free from this Hell.


Stumbling, I entered the Slytherin dorms, a concealment potion already working its effects. I went upstairs and grabbed a clean set of robes and headed off for the showers, the need to wash the blood off of me overpowering everything.

Turning on the tap, I waited until it was warm, not hot, warm, and then climbed in, turning on the showerhead. I had to bite my healing lip to not cry out as the water pounded against the cuts, stinging terribly.

I took a washrag and gently started to clean out my injuries to the best of my knowledge. After my quick shower, I started to wrap bandages around the worst of my injuries, hoping that it would aggravate them less.

Slipping my shirt on over my head, I winced as the coarse fabric brushed against the whip lashes, an injury I hadn’t been able to cover. Gingerly, I sat down on the counter and thought about what I should do.

Should I let Hermione and everyone know about what had happened last night? If I did, they would be able to help me more with my wounds, but then they would insist that I needed to tell Dumbledore. If I didn’t, if they were to find out, which was pretty likely, I would have depleted their trust in me, something I didn’t want.

So I guess the best option would just be to tell them, no matter what the consequences. Besides, if I told than maybe I could get healed... Maybe.

Limping out of the dungeon, but trying not to show it, I made my way into the Great Hall and looked around for my three friends. Spotting the familiar red hair of Ron, I made my way over and tapped Hermione on the shoulder.

She turned around and smiled at me. “Hey Draco, what’s up?”

“Could I talk to you for a minute?”

“Sure, come on, we’ll head outside.”

As soon as we were seated on the bank, I turned to her. “Mione, last night... last night I got a letter from my father...”

“Yes,” she said eagerly, leaning forward. “So what’s Voldemort’s plan?”

“That wasn’t what it was for... But I thought it was for that reason as well. The real reason was he wanted to ‘talk’ to me. And well, you know what happens when my father gets angry..”

“Oh, Draco! Are you okay?”

After a split second of thinking, I shook my head, the tears already starting to form again.

“Let’s go bring you up to the hospital wing. I’m sure Madam Pomfrey can fix you up a bit. She took my hand in hers and pulled me to my feet and we started across the grounds. “You’re really lucky you know,” she said, “Today is a Sunday.”

We entered the Hospital where the nurse was treating a girl that had wings for arms. “Now remember Miss Curate, no more trying spells that you don’t understand. Run along,” said Pomfrey, pushing the wingless girl out of the room.

“Miss Granger, Mr. Malfoy, what can I do for you two?”

Hermione decided to be the one to speak. “Madam Pomfrey, Draco got hurt pretty badly last night... Could you take a look?”

She eyed me up and down. “I don’t see anything wrong with you Mr. Malfoy.”

“I’m using a concealment potion, although it should be wearing off soon.”

“Very well then, sit down on the bed right there and take off your clothes.”

“What!” screeched! “All of them?”

“No, only around the places where you’re hurt...” I could hear her mumble idiot as she bustled away to her desk in the other room.

Hermione quickly came to my aid. “Do you need any help Draco?”

“Naw, I think I’ve got it.” I pulled my shirt and robe off and then proceeded to pull of my pants.

“Draco!” Hermione screeched, averting her eyes.

“My legs took a pretty heavy beating,” I said. “And besides, I’ve still got my boxers on. So chill.” She glanced back and breathed a sigh of relief, although a blush was still coating her cheeks.

The nurse came back in and looked over me. “Miss Granger, if you could please leave,” said Pomfrey curtly.

“Hey Mione, you might want to go get Dumbledore,” I said before she could leave. She nodded and left.

Seconds later, the burns started to form, bruises appeared, and the cuts I had carefully wrapped began to appear, with their wraps. The nurse began to undo the bandages, and I swear she swayed when she had finished removing them all. “Dear God.....”

At that moment, Dumbledore walked in, followed by Hermione who screamed when she saw my appearance.

“Mr. Malfoy,” said Dumbledore gravely, the twinkle gone from his eyes, “Would you care to explain?”

For the next hour, I told Dumbledore everything; How I was abused at home, why I had wanted my mother out, and why I had kept everything a secret. During my explanation, the nurse bandaged and healed my broken body to the best of her ability.

“I see,” said Dumbledore softly, looking at my bandaged form that was resting comfortably on the bed since the nurse was done. “You’ll be staying in the Hospital for the rest of the day to rest up. And Draco, I want you to know that you can trust me with anything. Get some sleep now.”

The headmaster rose and left the room, back to his office. Hermione bent down and gave me a soft kiss on my forehead. “Sweet dreams Draco,” she said before following Dumbledore.

I closed my eyes and let myself sleep, knowing I was in good hands and no one could touch me here.

Snatches of conversation reached my ears as I started to wake up.

“I’m telling you Albus, he isn’t going!” said McGonagall.

“It is for Draco to decide Minerva.”

“I’m with Minerva, Albus. Can you not see what just happened?” asked the outraged Potions professor.

“Draco agreed to this mission Severus. He agreed to become a spy and now it is time for him to do his job. If he chooses not to, I can not make him go, but neither of you are to try to convince him to stay.”

“But Albus,” said McGonagall, pleading obvious in her voice, “He’ll have had absolutely no time to recover. It’s tonight!”

“Once again, I’ll say the choice is Draco’s.”

I now fully opened my eyes, wondering what was going on. I could tell that the three professors were arguing over a matter that concerned me, but I’m not sure what it is about.

Snape must have noticed I was awake, because all of a sudden I was being wrapped in a hug. “Thank goodness you’re alright,” murmured Snape.

McGonagall pulled Snape off of me. “Easy Severus, he needs to breathe.”

“What’s going on?” I asked.

Dumbledore elected himself speaker. “Professor Snape has told me that Voldemort wishes to see you tonight for a meeting. Are you up to going?”

Thoughts raced through my mind. If Voldemort had requested it, then I’m sure that Father didn’t play a part in it. Or even if he did he couldn’t hurt me too badly. “I’ll go.”

“Are you sure about this Draco?” asked Snape.

“Yes, if it will help the Order, I’m ready.”

“Very well then Draco,” said the headmaster. “Stay here for now and we’ll bring you to your destination when the clock hits eight.”

“If you don’t mind me asking Sir, how am I getting where?”

“I have honestly no idea where this discussion is taking place, but I have a portkey for you to use. Now you rest up, I’m sure your friends will be up later to see you off.”

And with that, all three professors left the room, Snape glancing back at me worriedly but then McGonagall pulling him out of the room. Glancing at the clock on my bedside I knew I had three hours until eight.

Madam Pomfrey came back into the room with a tray of pumpkin juice, some soup, and toast. “Eat up Mr. Malfoy,” she said, before going over to a shelf to begin organizing some of her medicines.

Around seven, the Gryffindor trio burst into the room, Hermione flying over to me and wrapping her arms around my frame. “Are you really going?” she asked, her eyes brimming with tears.

“I have to Mione, I need to inform the Order.”

“But I don’t want you to get hurt anymore,” she sobbed, burying her head under my arm. “I don’t want to lose you.”

“It’ll be alright,” I said, running my hands through her thick brown hair. “We’re just going to talk, nothing else.”

I looked over her head and smiled at Harry and Ron. “Nice catch Harry, looks like you guys like the brooms.”

“Yeah,” said Ron, a huge smile on his face. “Narcissa is the best at buying presents! Your broom was really cool too! Was that a Dark Moon?”

“Uh huh, only five copies in the entire world.” I could feel a smirk growing on my face. Having something that rare could make me smirk with pride anytime.

“Uhhh, Draco? I’m really sorry about ramming you like that...I didn’t know and-”

“It’s fine Harry. Don’t worry about it.”

For the next forty minutes, the three of us talked, Hermione just content to sit next to me and let me play with her hair. “Alright guys, I’ve got to get going.” I rose and grabbed my shirt that was sitting next to me on a nightstand, already having pulled my pants on. “I’ll see you all later.”

Hermione hugged me and looked up into my eyes. “Promise you’ll be careful?”

“I promise.” Giving her a soft, quick kiss, I picked up the portkey, a black stone, and disappeared right before their eyes.

I found myself on a green carpet in an unknown room. Sitting in a chair in front of a roaring fire was the Dark Lord, Voldemort himself.

“Lord,” I said, bowing down and kissing the hem of his robes. “Professor Snape said you wished to see me.”

“Yes, sit down Draco,” he said, gesturing towards a chair that had just appeared behind me. “I have a plan that may finally bring down Harry Potter,” he said, his red eyes flashing.

“That is wonderful news My Lord, but what part do I play in this?”

“First, let me congratulate you on your success to becoming my heir. When I realized to say you passed, I must say I was a bit surprised but satisfied all the less. Now on to business... You have several classes with Harry Potter, is that correct?’

“Yes Lord.”

“And you know his schedule?”

“Yes Lord.”

“Excellent. This is what I need from you Draco. In seven days time, I want Harry Potter brought here, to Riddle Mansion. You are to bring him to me, where I will then be able to kill that foolish boy.”

“And how might I be returning with him and at what time?”

“I will give you a portkey tonight that will activate at seven p.m. next Sunday. Make sure you bring Potter.”

“Your wish is my command Master.”

“It is nice to see how well your father brought you up Draco. Now, you’d best run back to school before anyone notices your absence. And please inform Severus I am well pleased with him.”

“Yes Lord.” I stood, bowed, and then touched the portkey and was brought back to the Hogwarts infirmary.

“Are you alright?” A pair of arms belonging to Hermione wrapped themselves around me in a tight hug.

“I’m fine Mione. But I need to see Dumbledore and the other Order members immediately.”

“Alright, let’s go.” The four of us rushed out of the hospital wing, me running the fastest even with my injuries. We burst into Dumbledore’s office after saying the password, fudge.

Dumbledore was sitting at his desk, stroking Fawke’s red plumage while Snape and McGonagall sat on chairs, too nervous to go to bed.

When Snape saw me, completely unharmed, he relaxed somewhat, although his face was still grave. “Professor,” I said, leaning on Dumbledore’s desk to catch my breath. “I have news for the Order. It’s about Harry.”

“What about me?” asked Harry, although he was drowned out by everyone else’s voices adding to the noise.

“SILENCE!” roared Dumbledore. “Now Draco, please speak.”

“Voldemort wants me to bring Harry to him in seven day at seven p.m. to Riddle Manor. He plans to kill him then.”

“Ah.. Well, there is no cause for alarm. I will discuss this new matter with the Order and we will decide a plan of action. Now all of you go get some rest, Draco you are to head back to the infirmary. Poppy wants you under her wing for the night.”

The four of us left quietly, heading towards the Hospital Wing.

“So he wants to kill me in seven days?” asked Harry softly. “And he wants you to bring me there?”

“Yeah... But don’t worry Harry. Dumbledore and the Order will think of something.”

“That’s right Harry,” chimed in Hermione, “The only person who’s going to die will be Voldemort. The Order will probably follow you and Draco and then they’ll kill him.”

I stopped outside the hospital doors. “Good night you three.”

Hermione gave me a kiss goodnight and then left down the hall with the silent Gryffindors.

I made my way inside and changed into a pair of black pajamas that had been sitting on my bed. Climbing underneath the covers, I snuggled down, sleep already pulling at my rapidly closing eyelids. A had a lot on my mind, but it would all be taken care of, or at least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment