Monday, February 8, 2010

The Power of a Wish Chapter Nine

~*~*~*~*~

Disclaimer: Today, we have our very own Harry Potter here to do the disclaimer. *holds microphone in Harry's face*

Harry: Hello everyone! Icy invited me here on invitation to say the disclaimer. I'm afraid I can't stick around for long *winks at fangirls* but you'll catch me in the story, right Icy?

IcyPanther: Sure Harry. Now would you please say the disclaimer? We're running on a bit of a deadline...

Harry: Oh, right. *clears throat* IcyPanther does not own any of us. Not even Malfoy.

IcyPanther: Hey! No need to rub it in! Remember, I decide what happens to you in this fic, so you'd better be nice... Or else...

~*~

The Power of a Wish

Chapter Nine

'...' indicates thought

*...* indicates emphasis

~*~*~*~*~

From last time:

I blinked up at them, feeling tears pooling in my eyes and made no effort to hold them in, just letting them roll down my cheeks. They had called me their friend, something I had never had before, save Dobby.

"I'll tell him," I whispered, my voice working again.

Hermione let go of my hand and pulled me into a gentle hug. "Thanks Draco. We'll make sure your mom gets moved somewhere safe."

"Do you all really consider me a friend?" I whispered.

"Yes," said Hermione.

"Yeah," said Harry, shooting me a comforting smile.

"Duh, of course," was Ron's reply.

A small smile crept on to my face and I felt happy, really happy, for the first time in my life. For the first time, I had people to trust, people to talk to... I had friends.

~*~*~*~*~

*Hermione POV*

Warm. So nice and comfortable. I snuggled up against the source of heat in my bed that I had awoken to this morning. It was very thoughtful for the house elves to bring in bed warmers, it did get drafty at times.

Suddenly, I stiffined, my eyes adjusting to the room. Where had my red and gold four poster bed gone? Where were Lavender and Parvarti? A slight laugh, followed by a cough caught my attention.

Slowly, my eyes focused and another bed came into view, with Harry sitting on top the comforters, snickering slightly at me. Oh wait, now I remember. We stayed the night in the Room of Requirement. Snape had left, but the three of us had opted to stay with Draco.

"What's so funny Harry?" I asked, not really sure why he was laughing at me.

"You," he chuckled.

"Me?" I repeated. "Why am I suddenly so funny?"

"Well, not exactly you Mione... but take a look at where you are..."

I rolled over and came nose to nose with a sleeping Draco Malfoy. Oh my God, he was... Now I could see why so many girls threw themselves at his feet. No other words to describe it... hot. The silver blond bangs falling across his face, the peaceful expression on his face, the small uplift of his lips in a tiny smile.

What was I saying? I already had a boyfriend, a perfectly good one too... Or did I? I'll admit, Ron is one of the sweetest, nicest, caring boys I'll ever get to meet in my lifetime, but was he really the one for me?

When I first met him, he was a boy who all he wanted was to stand out amongst his brothers. He was hot headed, reckless, and would do anything for myself or Harry. The last fact is still true, but the rest have been changed. Ron has developed into one of the people I hold closest to my heart.

I think I'm facing a problem that even I don't want to admit. I.. I see Ron as a friend, nothing really more. I've realized that someone else needs me even more than my long time friend, that someone being Draco. But how to tell Ron? Actually let's get back to the main problem at hand, how on Earth had I gotten myself into the same bed with Draco?

*Flashback*

I reached forward and gave Draco a hug, my smile wide. He had just learned that we considered him as friends, something he'd wanted for quite some time. I drew back and looked at him, my eyes twinkling with happiness.

Ron and Harry just gave Draco smiles, it wouldn't be manly to hug. Snape rose from his seat and turned to face all of us. "Thank you for intrusting this information to me, it means a lot," he said, a small smile on his features. His gaze turned to focus on Draco. "Make sure you go to Dumbledore tomorrow, understand?"

Draco nodded his head, a smile still gracing his pale face. Snape nodded his head in parting and then left through the door, on his way back to his own chambers. "Well," said Ron, "Are we all staying here for the night?"

Harry flopped down on a bed that had just appeared behind him. "I'm staying. The room is even preparing for us..." Two more beds had popped out of nowhere and stood next to Harry's. "Besides, if Draco needs anything, we'll be right here."

"Good point," I said. "Now, we're all going to start on our homework, seeing as I know we got a lot." I clambered onto the bed next to Draco and took out my books. "Get moving you two," I said with a laugh, looking at the horrorfied looks on Ron and Harry's faces.

Grumbling, they pulled out parchment and ink and began on their work. I looked at Draco, who smiled sleepily at me. "Get some rest," I whispered. "I'll cover for you this time."

"Thanks Mione," he mumbled sleepily, before slumber overtook him and his silver eyes closed.

For the rest of the evening, we worked on homework, except when Ron took a break and went to the kitchens and brought up dinner. And that's all I remember, myself being swept away be sleep.

*End Flashback*

"So I fell asleep doing homework?" I asked aloud. "But how did I get under the covers?"

Harry shrugged. "Beats me. But you'd better get out of there before Ron wakes up, he won't like that sight much."

Ron... When and how am I going to tell him? Is he going to be angry?

"You're right Harry." Gingerly, I shifted, but Draco's arm tightened around my waist and he mumbled in his sleep. "Harry," I said, a note of panic attached to my voice. "Help..."

The raven haired boy climbed off of his bed and made his way over to me. "Okay, listen Hermione. I'm going to lift his arm, you roll. Got it?"

"Uh huh." Harry reached over and clamped his hand down on Draco's right arm and tugged it upwards. I moved quickly, just in time to as Draco's arm rested beside him on the bed where I had been moments before.

Harry sat down on the floor, trying to control his mirth. "That... that was priceless... Mione," he gasped. I glared at him, but could feel a tinge of redness coating my cheeks.

"We should go see Dumbledore as soon as Draco wakes up. He needs to tell someone."

"Tell someone what?" asked Ron drowsily. "What's going on?"

"As soon as Draco gets up, all of us are going to see Dumbledore," said Harry.

"Oh, okay... Hey! Wait, when do we get breakfast?"

"We don't," I said. "His situation is more important then filling our stomachs."

Harry nodded. "I'm going to go get dressed. Be back in a few minutes."

As soon as Harry was out of sight, Ron shuffled his feet and looked at me. "Mione, can we talk?"

"Sure, what about?" I asked.

"You like him, don't you?"

"Like who?"

"Don't play dumb when you obviously know who I'm talking about Mione."

"How did you know?" I whispered, to ashamed to look at him.

He approached me and tilted my chin up so I had no choice but to look into his bright blue eyes. "The way you look at him Mione. I was a fool not to see it in the beginning," he said sadly, shaking his head.

"Ron, I-"

"I"m not mad at you Mione," he interrupted. "And I don't want you to feel guilty. If your heart is telling you that Draco is the one, don't let me stop you."

I could seriously feel my heart melting and breaking at the same time. He wasn't mad at me, which was wonderful, but one part of me wishes he would rant and rave, saying that Draco didn't deserve me. But he didn't and that is why this is all the more painful.

Tears formed in the corners of my eyes, and before I even registered what I was doing, my arms were wrapped around Ron in a hug, my face buried in his shoulder.

"Hush Mione, it's okay. He needs you more than I do anyway..."

I pulled away, smiling up at Ron. "Thank you for understanding Ron," I said softly. "Can we- can we still-"

"Be friends?" he butted in. "Of course Mione, you mean to much to me to allow you to just disappear from my life like that." I sniffled and threw my arms around him again.

When Harry came out of the bathroom, he blinked and stood still, not really understanding why I was hugging Ron, tears streaming down my face, as he smoothed my hair back and held me. "Is everything alright?" he asked, looking at us.

Ron nodded. "Everything is fine Harry. Now, let's get Lazy out of bed so we can see Dumbledore." I laughed and moved over to the bed, the weight on my shoulders had been fully lifted.

"Draco, Draco, time to wake up," I called softly, shaking him lightly by his right shoulder. "Come on, time to wake up."

"Hmmm? What's that?" he asked sleepily, both liquid silver eyes opening, still full with sleep. They started to drift close again, but I shook him, a bit harder this time.

"Get up Draco. We have to go see Dumbledore."

"Why?" He rolled over, pulling the blankets with him.

I gave an exasparated sigh. "Get up *now* Draco or something worse will be coming your way. I have ways of getting people out of bed..."

"Fine, fine." He sat up, running a hand through his tousled hair, and if anything, making it stand even more on end.

"How are you feeling?" asked Harry. "Does your arm hurt a lot?"

"You know, it's funny," said Draco, a smirk of satisfaction gracing his features. "I do believe I passed. I don't feel any pain anymore." Rolling up his armsleeve, he looked at the gruesome skull. It was still red, but a darker velvety red now.

"Well get dressed already," said Ron impatiently. "If we hurry we still might make it to breakfast."

"I don't see you dressed," was the reply from the Slytherin's mouth. Dropping his legs over the side of the bed, Draco leaped off, looking remarkebly like a cat, and made his way to the bathroom.

About ten minutes later, everyone had gotten dressed, grabbed schoolbooks and were on our way to visit Dumbledore. Well, Harry was dragging Ron who insisted that we needed to eat breakfast.

We reached the stone gargoyles in record time, but it was then we all realized the truth, none of us knew the password.

"Okay," said Harry. "We know that Dumbledore always has the password as some type of sweet, although it can be magical or muggle candy. Any suggestions?"

"Cockroach clusters!" shouted Ron.

"Peppermint floss," said Draco.

"Lemon Drop," I said, knowing that Dumbledore like lemony things...

"Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans!" yelled Harry. But yet, the statues remained unmoving.

"Damn it," said Harry, "Trust Dumbledore to come up with a candy that none of us know."

"Aw, Fudge," I muttered slumping down next to the gargoyle. But to my amazement, the gargoyle wasn't there and I went flying backwards onto the revolving staircase.

"Trust Hermione to find the right word," said Harry. "Come on everyone, let's go!"

I stood waiting on the landing at the top of the staircase, a bit nervous to go in by myself. Harry strode forward and pushed open the doors, walking straight up to Dumbledore.

The aging wizard looked from his book and smiled. "Well there Harry, I was wondering when I'd be seeing you around this year. Lemon drop?" Dumbledore held out a bowl full of the small yellow candies.

"No thanks Professor."

"I'll have some." Ron dashed forward and took out a handful.

"Now what brings you four to my office. And Mr. Malfoy, talking to Gryffindors? Never thought I'd see the day," Dumbledore said, shaking his head in amazement.

Draco stepped forward, the familiar look of 'I'm better than you' in his proud features. "The reason we came is because of me Professor."

"Oh? And what do you have to tell me Mr. Malfoy?"

Draco turned around and looked at the three of us. I gave him an encouraging smile and Harry and Ron mirrored it. Turning back to face the headmaster, he said, "A few days ago I recieved the Dark Mark, Sir."

He steepled his hands and looked at me over his half-mooned spectacles. "I see. Please continue."

"Um.."

I giggled behind my hand. Never thought I'd see the day when Draco Malfoy was left speechless. Fortunately, for Draco, Harry came to his rescue.

"Draco has several top connections with Voldermort's side, Professor. He became his heir and is probably going to be in the top circle of Death Eaters, where the most valuable information will be passed on. Plus, he has a direct fuse of Voldemort's blood and I'm not really sure how we can use that to our advantage, but it is an asset."

"I also have some of his powers, Professor," said Draco quietly. "Not sure what use those would be of either..."

"Come over here and let me see that mark of yours Draco," commanded Dumbledore. The blonde approached the huge mahogony desk with apprehension. Rolling up his sleeve, he held out his arm towards Dumbledore. "My," said the headmaster in amazement, "look at that." Reaching up, he traced one finger on the outside of the skull, not noticing Draco's wince and the slight tremble.

His hand still resting on the Mark, Dumbledore said, "Why are you telling me all of this Draco?" The blue eyes twinkled with question.

"I don't care for my father's views on this whole matter, and I fully don't care for him or Voldemort. I was hoping that I could do something to aid the other side, Sir."

"Yes, I'm afraid I could use your help. But understand this Draco, you needn't say yes to what I'm about to ask you to do. I would be asking you to risk your life, be subject to danger, and face certain death if anyone was to ever catch you."

"I don't think any of those will be a problem Professor. Believe me, I've dealt with worse."

Dumbledore eyed Draco questionably, probably wanting to know what the worse was, but didn't say anything. "I'm asking you to spy for the Order of the Phoenix Draco. The Order is a group composed of myself and others who defy Voldemort. Severus is a spy as well, but with someone of your rank, the information we could gain from you would be invaluable."

Draco opened his mouth to speak, but Dumbledore held up a hand. "Think about it before you answer Draco."

A few minutes passed in silence, Draco chewing on his lower lip. "Professor. I've made my decision."

"And your decision is?"

"I want to be a spy."

~*~*~*~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment