Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Very Merry Christmas- Chapter Two


By the next morning, everyone had heard. Hermione avoided the few whispers she heard in the hall, opting to watch her feet as she made her way downstairs to breakfast to meet Ron and Harry. No tree. No dinner. No shopping. No carols. No baking. No...

"Now, hold on.." Hermione thought to herself. "It's not like Christmas is going to cease to exist at all just because I won't be with my parents... maybe I can convince the headmaster to allow me to go to the Burrow... I think I'll try that first. If that doesn't work... well, I'll just have to make my own Christmas, here at the castle."

She smiled and spun on the spot, walking quickly down the halls to Dumbledore's office. As soon as she got there, however, she realized she didn't know the password. She needn't know it at all though, because as soon as she began to walk away, who might emerge but Dumbledore himself!

"Miss Granger, to what do I owe the pleasure? Walk with me down to the Great Hall, let's see what's on your mind."

"Well, you see professor, I was all set to go home for Christmas, but... my parents have just owled me yesterday to tell me they won't be home, and I won't have any way to get home by myself obviously... I would feel terribly lonely myself, you see, and I was simply wondering if I might be allowed to return to the Burrow with Harry and Ron..."

But even her best convincing couldn't save her.

"Hermione, I wish I could allow this, but... even as Headmaster, I fear I cannot. The deadline for permission passed just yesterday, I'm afraid. And I'm also afraid to tell you that it looks like you'll be staying here at Hogwarts this Christmas.

Hermione was heartbroken. No family, no friends for the holidays. Her favorite time of year was all but ruined. Even trying her hardest with whoever and whatever was left here, the chances that she might actually enjoy herself were slim. Sliding into a seat between Ron and Harry, she huffed.

"Tough luck then Hermione... and you can't come with us?" Ron actually looked hopeful.

"I've only just asked the headmaster, and he's said I can't. Too late for permission and whatnot... I'll be here for the Holidays. Everything's gone terribly wrong."

"Don't worry too much, Hermione." Harry said, putting an arm around her. "You'll have fun other ways, there are always a few people here... find things to do with them. Have your own Hogwarts Christmas."

She smiled. "I think I will. Thanks for trying to cheer me up, boys. I hope the two of you have fun. I'll send your gifts to the Burrow."

"And we'll send yours back here," said Ron, before stabbing a piece of hotcake. Hermione rolled her eyes, smiling slightly. Even if they couldn't solve her problem, they did just cheer her up, and give her a splendid idea.


She could not concentrate on classes, for the second time in her life. If she could not have her traditional family Christmas, she would make new traditions here at Hogwarts - one the students here would enjoy. She began thinking of a list of things to do, crossing out and adding activities as the day went by. They might be able to skate on the lake, if the ice was thick enough... and there was plenty of baking, and snow playing, and carols, and they could shop in Hogsmeade, if there was to be a trip... and cooking on the day of, and though Hogwarts had giant trees in the Great Hall, they could find their own and decorate it. Yes, Hermione was convinced that she could make this Holiday enjoyable for anyone stuck at school. She'd make sure of it.

Before the last class of the day, she'd posted lists around school at places they were sure to be seen by everyone - at the entrance to the Great Hall, outside most classrooms, up and down the Grand Staircase, every exit from the castle. Walking away from her last posted sheet, Hermione smiled and felt accomplished. Yes, she thought to herself. I knew I could do it. I'll have a Happy Christmas somehow, even if it might be with strangers, or with only one or two acquaintances... I'll figure it out. And I'll collect the lists in the morning, so I can start planning how much we'll need for things I might have to get... Wiping her hands as if she'd just done hours of heavy work, she walked to her last class that afternoon in a good mood. Hermione Granger was going to get what she wanted, somehow.


She explained her plans to Harry and Ron that night before they packed. She launched into a detailed explanation of how things were going to happen, what they would do, and since she'd discovered there would be a Hogsmeade trip for everyone left over, the adventure they'd have that day. They smiled and laughed at all the right places, even if their quick departure said that they found her plans a little overwhelming. The fact that they even sat still and listened for the whole time surprised her enough, and she was grateful for their cooperation in her presentation.

As the boys packed, Hermione planned even more. Tomorrow, she'd gather a list of students for the activities. And no classes over break, there would be plenty of time to relax and enjoy the Holidays. Feeling proud of herself, Hermione smiled. This was her getting to take over, her getting to instill new traditions and cheer at Hogwarts. And this might just be her best Christmas yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment