Friday, January 29, 2010

The Day- Chapter Eight

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters however the story is my own.

Be calm. I can handle this. I tell myself as I force a feigned smile unto my lips.

“I wasn’t with Malfoy!” I say, trying to look shocked at the accusation.

“Hermione, I have a fucking invisibility cape. I followed you. I know he was in that cabin with you. What the bloody hell were you doing?” Harry asks, temper flaring.

“Oh.” Is all I can think to say.

“He’s the son of a Death Eater! Are you on HIS side?” Ron screams at me.

Whoa. No. Draco is no death eater.

“He’s a member of the resistance too! You just don’t know him like I do! He’s no death eater!” I say, before I realize the implications.

Luna and Ginny lock eyes with each other then look at me slowly, wickedly.

“Oh. My. God.” Ginny says, and I know they got it. “You’re screwing Malfoy.”

A blush floods my face, and Ron and harry go speechless. For once.

“Bloody hell.” Ron mutters.

“You just had sex with a Death Eater?!” Harry asks, voice quieter.

I shake my head. “I had sex with Draco Malfoy.” I whisper.

“Jesus, Hermione. That’s so disgusting. Even thinking about snogging him is disgusting.” Ron says, regarding me like some animal.

“I’m not sorry. He’s been my boyfriend since we arrived at Hogwarts. Please don’t tell anyone.” I whisper, looking away as my cheeks turn redder by the second.

Ginny and Luna decide to have some humanity, and spare me. They grin wickedly at each other.

“Hermione, darling. Do come here and give us girls the details. Every last bit.” Luna says, and Ron and Harry look at them, barely concealing disgust. They don’t find it funny.

“We’re going.” They say, and Ginny and Luna shrug, pulling me down to sit.

“I’m so sorry, hun.” Ginny says, and I want to cry almost. “But we do want the details. He’s the best looking death eater in the world.” She says, grinning.

And so I smile sadly back, giving them all the details, and not arguing over his innocence.

“Students! Today, in our world, lives are crumbling. Voldemort has prepared attacks and soon enough we will be attacked ourselves!” Dumbledore’s bold voice proclaims as everyone sits down in the great hall. I catch Draco’s head, and smile, but he looks uneasy. Ginny and Luna sit around me, and Harry and Ron still look at me like the mudblood that I am. It hurts but they’ll get over it. “You are his way in! Voldemort can attack this school, but only through you. Only through students! Which is why we will all need to be prepared. Every grade. So I’m showing you the mark of a death eater.” He says, waving his wand. He draws with it in black smoke a large, rough sketch of the tattoo.

I watch, as does everyone else, but for me, it brings a new dread. It takes a few seconds to sink in, but when it does, I know exactly where I remember that tattoo from.

Draco’s arm.

Bloody Hell.

I look around for him, but he’s gone, and I myself rush to get up, puking over the floor.

5 years. 5 fucking years, and everyone else were right. He was a Death Eater.

But that’s not what made me sick.

What made me sick was the fact that I still loved him.

“Hermi-” Ginny started, scrambling up as I puke but then the air around us goes still. I pull my hair back as everything is dead silent. Then a swooshing comes in, and Death eaters crowd in. People are screaming and I look everywhere. I can’t find Draco.

“Hermione!” Ron and Harry scream, wanting my help. Everyone’s wands are out, but without me, the odds are even worse than they normally would be. We are outnumbered as it, since most don’t even know the dark arts. People are running and its gone to a madhouse within seconds.

And I can’t do anything.

Then Ginny falls, and I see blood pour from the side of her mouth.

And I still can’t move. All I can do is puke again and again as the screams surround and I feel myself lifted up, and bound like all the others who survive. I did this. I cost Ginny and countless others their life. I cost us the entire resistance.

And I still love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment