Friday, January 29, 2010

A Very Merry Christmas- Chapter Seventeen


She felt dreadful. And she knew precisely why. It was not the cold, though that might have had a hand in her pounding headache. It was a combination of things. Moving backwards, it started with turning down Draco for another night alone. She'd had her reasons, but he'd seemed so disappointed. Then back to the letters from her friends. Ginny's was the only positive one, and Ron was absolutely heartbroken. She'd kept this secret from them, her best friends. And now that it was out... she didn't feel any better. Not one bit. It was well past ten in the morning when she rose from bed. There were still preparations left for the party, even though she'd thought she'd gotten everything last night. She made a mental checklist of everything she had to do before tonight, and as the list grew, so did her headache. She wrote back to her friends, a task she'd been attempting to put off but could no longer see how.


Ginny,

Your enthusiasm on the topic is greatly appreciated. Harry's shocked speechless and Ron seems about to off himself, do watch out for me, will you? It seems terrible of me to say such a thing, especially when it's because of me and Draco that he's like this, but it really was his own fault. He should have made his move. I'd always had feelings for him. His loss, I guess? I can't wait to see you in just over a day. At least you, of all people, will be supportive and eager to listen.

Yours,
Hermione.


Harry,

I'm terribly sorry. This much come as a huge shock to you, but I had to warn you before you came back. I assure you, I'm completely honest in all of this and I really hope you honestly can be happy for me. I miss you all, and I'm looking forward to seeing you and proving to you how much he has changed and how happy we are. Trust me, I've thought this through, and I know that this is what is right, and this is what feels right and makes me happy. I'll see you soon.

Always,
Hermione


Ron,

I can't imagine how you must be feeling. And I'd like to not have to say this at all, but it really is your own fault. You had years to make a move, to actually tell me how you felt, and you didn't do anything. I'm happy now, and I hope that can eventually make you happy too, even if it makes you highly upset at the moment. If it helps, I'll try to keep the mention of him down when I'm with you, and I'll try to ease you both into it. You know I'll always love you, even if it's not in the way you might still hope.

Yours, and I mean it,
Hermione


At lunch, she was quiet and so was he. Her irrational fears were quieted though, by the fact that it wasn't the awkward brush off last night that was keeping him quiet - it was just comfort. His arm still clung around her waist, even while they ate, and he still glanced in her direction, smiling, every once in a while. She liked that they could simply sit in each others presence, enjoying that they were simply near each other. It was almost enough to make her forget everything else in the world.


"Decorations?"

"All Check."

"Things for the Countdown?"

"Also check. I put them up myself. Honestly, Hermione, we've been through this three times."

"So you charmed up the confetti, streamers, balloons...?"

"Confetti, streamers, balloons, bells, everything."

"What do you mean by everything?"

"I mean, check."

She glared at him. "Refreshments?"

He sighed and turned his head, checking the table - now full of food. "Check. I had them bring up all four things in case you changed your mind."

She blushed. He already knew her too well. "And everything is ready. Alright. What's the time?"

"Dinner is in ten minutes. Come on."

The pair went down to dinner, stopping many time to answer questions about that nights extravaganza. Questions about what they should wear (semi-formal), should they bring anything (no), do anything (just show up), when (starting 45 minutes after dinner), where (room of requirement), and so many other questions that, surprisingly, Draco handled for her. After a quick meal, everyone rushed to their dormitories to prepare. Draco kissed Hermione goodbye and headed back down to the dungeons, and Hermione quickly realized that she didn't have a single thing to wear. On walking up the stairs, she closed her eyes, going through every piece of clothing in her trunk. There was a green sweater, but it wasn't nice enough... a nice set of robes that was just a tad too small, but that didn't seem appropriate either. She finally decided that, if there was one thing she was good at, it was magic. And that's how she'd figure it out. She got to work as soon as she walked in, shortening the robes and closing them in the front to create a slight v-neck, knee length dress. Pleased with the results, she quickly showered, charmed her hair into a neat french twist, and put on a little makeup before heading to the room of requirement. With a spritz of perfume she'd gotten for her birthday - for very special occasions - she stepped out of the Gryffindor common room, only to run smack into Draco. He smiled and caught her around the waist, steadying her. "In a rush? You smell nice." She blushed, and he took a step back. He shook his head, and she frowned. What was wrong with what she was wearing? As if he could read her mind, he said "You look like a nun, Hermione."

"I beg your pardon! I look perfectly presentable."

"McGonagall probably owns a better fitting dress. Here, let me..." with a flick of his wand, the bottom 8 inches of the dress fell off, so that it was just above mid-thigh. Another flick, and the slight v-neck went even lower, revealing some not unremarkable cleavage. With one last flick, the dress changed shape, forming to her thin body around every curve, while it fell away from her just slightly at the legs. She was shocked, but not unhappy with the result. She looked better than she had in years. Looking at her plain black flats, he made one more adjustment, and suddenly Hermione felt her heels rise at least three inches into the air. He'd turned them into a cute pair of peep-toe stilettos. She didn't mind that at all. He took her arm and bent to whisper something in her ear, but stopped suddenly.

"While I do enjoy a nice open area of your neck, you can loosen up a bit, Granger."

She sighed and pulled the pins out of her hair, making it cascade down around her shoulders in soft waves. "Happy?"

"Deliriously. Come on."


It was only ten and the party was already in full swing. Everyone in the castle had turned up looking nice and cheerful, except Filch, who stood messy and angry in the corner. The partygoers paid him no attention, however, because the air of the room was magnificent. The glimmering fabric, the clink of glasses, and the sounds of laughter and merriment were all around. Hermione was finally able to let out a breath and relax. Everyone was having a great time. She sat in a chair on the side of the room, and very quickly felt a hand on her shoulder.

"You've done a fantastic job." Draco kissed the top of her head, and then her hand. "I wish everyone could have been back to see this, and see how fantastic you are."

"Thank you, Draco. I do think I've done alright."

At that moment, a very frazzled looking Pansy Parkinson appeared, some sort of drink having apparently been spilled on her leg. "Draco. I need to talk to you. Alone. Now."

"We have nothing to discuss."

"Draco. Come talk to me. I am your friend, right? And I have to say something."

"Parkinson, as I'm sure I know the nature of your request, I'm afraid I'll have to decline on both counts. I will not go anywhere with you, and you are not my friend if what I hear you've been saying is true."

She gaped at him for a moment before glaring at Hermione and storming off, spilling more punch everywhere. Hermione could not help but laugh, the whole sight was slightly ridiculous.

"Since when has he called me 'PARKINSON?'" At this, they both laughed. The crowd parted to let her through, screaming and groaning the whole way out the door.

At half past eleven, the guests were starting to get antsy. The countdown was in less than half an hour, and everyone was wondering what our two party planners had in store. As the minutes passed, the clock on the wall seemed to become more and more of a topic in conversation. In the last five minutes, the suits of armor set down their trays and stood still against the walls. The fabric rippled from the movement around the room. The hum of conversation turned to a roar as people looked for a special someone for the countdown, or friends to cheer with, or champagne to toast with. Hermione, of course, was perfectly content on the sidelines. And yet, Draco, of course, was not. When the first click came from the clock signaling fifteen seconds, he picked her up in one swift movement and moved her to the center of the floor. People cheered and yelled greetings at the unexpected couple until he set her down.

SEVEN! SIX! FIVE!

Draco took her face in his hands. "You are... amazing."

FOUR! THREE!

"I try." She smirked up at him.

TWO! ONE!

She pushed even farther up on her toes, and he bent down slightly so that they were just an inch apart.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Cheers erupted from everyone in the room as Draco closed the distance between them and kissed her. Confetti, streamers, and balloons fell from the ceiling. The resounding laughter and shouting continued. Moments later, fireworks went off above all of their heads, Draco's own addition. As Hermione and Draco kissed, wrapped tightly around each other, and cameras flashed, and friends and fellow students joined together, the new year began. When they finally pulled apart, the cheers were still going on.

"Happy New Year, Draco." Hermione's eyes absolutely sparkled.

"Only if it's with you."

As she reached back up on her tip toes to kiss him again, a particularly bright flash went off. When they pulled apart, Hermione could swear she saw the blonde hair of Olivia running away. She rolled her eyes, laughing. Draco wrapped her into a tight hug and Hermione took a moment to think.

Yes, this is the ending of one particularly interesting year... it's also the ending of what was before, and so many other things, but... it's also a beginning. A new year. New friends. And Draco...

She turned back up to smile at him, and when he smiled back, she knew everything was going to be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment