Friday, January 29, 2010

A Very Merry Christmas- Chapter Sixteen


Hermione replied to Ron and Harry after Dinner the previous night, and once she'd gotten to the owlery after breakfast, she was not surprised to see that they had not replied yet - they would be sleeping in, of course. She pulled out her own copy of her reply and sat on the steps outside, re-reading it once more.

Ron, Harry, and Ginny:

I know. I'm sorry. That must have been a bit of a shock. But I still suppose you should hear the whole story. As soon as I put up lists for people to sign up to participate, Draco's name was on the lists. I thought he was just trying to ruin everything, but he assured me that those were not his intentions. Still wary, I recruited him to help get everyone together to start getting ideas together. He did exactly as asked, and more. In fact, he funded the entire thing! He paid for all of the food and other costs, and he also bought a present for every single person left at Hogwarts, staff included. (To be honest, he actually bought me every present I asked for, and then some.) He's... well, he's changed. I don't know how else to explain it to you. He's been really sweet and helpful. And, well, we're sort of... together. Very much so. He makes me ridiculously happy, it's brilliant. And I really hope that you all might grow to like him, or at least tolerate him, because we're going to be spending a lot of time together. It's sort of a crazy story, and I won't make you listen to it unless you're honestly interested, but I just hope that you can be happy for me and what makes me happy, even if that thing is Draco. I've enclosed two other pictures from the same day. I hope it shows you just how serious I am about him.

All my Love,
Hermione

She was still nervous. She'd explained it in the best way possible, but Ron of course was always known to over-react, and Harry had his own ways of dealing with everything. Hermione retreated back down the stairs to her dormitory, eager to take a nice nap before lunch and then setting up for the party tomorrow. There was still so much to do, and waking up the past few mornings to see Draco was making her very tired...


Startled, she awoke from her nap to find an owl tapping on her window. Lunch must have already passed, it must have found a way to get straight to her. She opened the window slightly to a cool wind and an outstretched leg, taking the letter quickly so the owl could fly up and find some place warm in the owlery. A real storm had just started, and the chill hit Hermione as soon as her feet registered the freezing stone floor beneath her feet. The scratchy writing on the outside of the letter indicated that it was from Harry. She checked her watch - 2:00. She'd well missed lunch, the rest of the students were already setting up probably and - take a breath, Hermione. They can handle it... She sat back down on the bed with a promise to herself that she'd go find them as soon as she was done reading this letter. It was actually three letters, she soon realized, all packed up in the same envelope. The first one she read was Ginny's.

'Mione

A shock is an understatement. DRACO MALFOY? Sorry I couldn't exactly be totally honest in the last letter. But Ron insister on writing his own letter this time, and so I snuck my own in here as well. But really, Hermione, Draco? There are two highly opposite sides to this. One: He is evil. Pure and utter evil. If he has changed, as you have said, then so be it, but you have to know how we usually think of Draco. You said it yourself, your first instinct was that he was going to ruin everything! From what you've said though, he's sweet and helpful and obviously generous. It's just definitely a shock to the average person's system. However, there is also point number Two: He IS ridiculously good looking. I've never admitted it to anyone else on this planet, but time and time again every girl in Hogwarts has to have asked herself, how can evil have such gorgeous eyes? Such a dashing smile and chisled chin and he's bloody tall, but... well you know where I'm going with that. It's just a little hard to believe. Not that you aren't gorgeous yourself, but you've never really believed in your looks. He, apparently though, sees them too, so you MUST now not tell me I'm being irrational when I tell you that you look good. Wow. Draco Malfoy. I noticed you used his first name. I assume that was the first step, going from Granger/Malfoy to Hermione/Draco. Sounds cute, I will admit... alright. The boys are bugging me to stop writing. I keep getting distracted and this could have been twice as long as it is. All my love. Good luck. I truly am happy for you.

Love, Always
Ginerva

The next letter was Harry's.

Hermione,

Alright, I'm not sure what to say to that. It's obviously a shock. But, I guess whatever makes you happy. Not that it pleases me one bit, but if you need me to keep my mouth shut, I will.... well, I can't promise anything. But I'll try. Ginny's writing up a storm over there, I'm not sure what all that's about. Ron is too. I seem to be writing the least. I guess I'm speechless. I never would have thought one of my best friends would end up with one of my worst enemies. I am never letting you stay back at Hogwarts, ever again. I'll try to keep Ron from offing himself. He's quite grouchy. Can't wait to see you in just three and a half days. We've missed you.

Always,
Harry

And then the one she feared most. Ron's.

Hermione,

Imagine my surprise, when the girl I might have hoped to be mine, sends us a letter saying she's now with, in my professional opinion, the worst person in the world besides You-Know-Who himself. I don't mean to be harsh. Actually, yes I do. What are you thinking? It's MALFOY. DUH. You're supposed to be the smart one, but now you're running off with him! I thought we had something. Now I don't even know what to think. Cheers I guess.

Ron

His had hit the hardest, she knew it would. She had, of course, felt something for Ron in the past, but... he never made his move. He never actually said anything, or even acted like it sometimes. It was barely common knowledge in the group, and she was trying not to let it upset her. She just had to keep reminding herself that she was happy here. With Draco. No matter how hard she tried, however, Ron's letter was a stabbing little reminder, each time she re-read it, that the freckle faced boy she'd loved all these years, had loved her too. And that she'd absolutely broken his heart.


"Is that everything, then?" They'd missed dinner. It was almost nine o'clock. She was absolutely exhausted. However, the room of requirement once again looked absolutely magical. Besides the fact that, of course, it was magical. She laughed slightly at her own joke. The room was larger than it had been for Christmas, just right for throwing a new years party for what she had heard to be one hundred and twenty students and staff. The walls was draped with gold and silver fabric, as well as it was draped overhead to create a high, shimmery appearance for the whole room. Everything had been charmed to fall from the drapery at midnight, and the large clock was already hanging on the wall, waiting to bring in the new year. Hermione let out a sigh. Turning to the fireplace, the Christmas tree remained, now with pictures from the festivities hanging from its branches. The kitchen was gone, replaced by a very long, draped table. Set on it were serving plates, some with samples still on them from when they had tried foods out for the party. The large punch fountain stood in the center, punch flowing from the topmost point of a very close replica of Hogwarts itself. There were lights set above the ceiling drapes as well, casting a rosy-gold glow over the space. In short, it was wonderful, and warm, and perfect for new years. The last of the staff and helpers filed out, while Hermione and Draco put the finishing touches on the place. They passed on the invitation to head down to the kitchens for a late dinner, and instead opted for the leftover samples and a serious chat.

"I've gotten letters from my friends," Hermione finally blurted out. "And only Ginny is really happy for me. Harry says he is, but he's just being supportive, I know him. And Ron..."

"Ron's destroyed, isn't he?" Draco stopped putting enchantments around the place. "It's not like it's news."

"Well... yes. He is. But I think... he'll come to. Eventually. He's just... he feels like he lost some competition. Like he lost me. But... he's the one who never made a move."

"Yeah, well, his loss I guess. Does it bother you?"

"Yes. To be honest, it really does. They're my best friends. At least I know Ginny is alright with it..."

"That's one down, two to go. Sorry. Not helpful."

"Don't worry. I'm just nervous about them returning." She felt a pair of strong arms slip around her waist.

"And you have every reason to be. I'm a bit scared myself. Potter's got a knack for dueling."

She rolled her eyes and leaned into him, finally lowering her wand. "That he does. Ron does too, you'd actually be surprised..."

"The last time Ron Weasley tried to hex me, he vomitted slugs all day. Surprised is the least you could say."

Again, she rolled her eyes and laughed. "This is true." He turned her around and smiled at her. She loved seeing his smile... it was something she'd never gotten to appreciate before this break, only seeing it when it meant he'd done something negative. He picked her up - she squealed - and set her down on the couch, kissing her fiercely. She thought of how happy he made her, and then it faded into Ginny being happy, which unfortunately then moved to Ron... she pulled away from Draco. "I... not tonight. I can't. It's... too hard. Right now."

He frowned, but pulled himself off her. "I see. Well. I'll try not to let that get to me. I suppose... it's difficult for you. After telling them. I'll just head to bed then." He gave her a peck on the lips and left. Suddenly, Hermione felt worse than she would have if all three of her good friends had hated her - because she sort of couldn't believe herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment